Is your computer male or female? As you are aware, ships have long
been characterized as being female (e.g., "Steady as she goes", or
"She's listing to starboard, Captain!"). Recently, a group of computer
scientists (all males) announced that computers should also be
referred to as being female. Their reasons for drawing this conclusion
1. No one but the Creator understands their internal logic.
2. The native language they use to communicate with other
computers is incomprehensible to everyone else.
3. The message "Bad command or file name" is about as informative
as, "If you don't know why I'm mad at you, then I'm certainly not
going totell you".
4. Even your smallest mistakes are stored in long-term memory for
5. As soon as you make a commitment to one, you find yourself
spending half your paycheck on accessories for it. However, another
group of computer scientists (all female) think that computers
should be referred to as if they were male. Their reasonsfollow:
1. They have a lot of data, but are still clueless.
2. They are supposed to help you solve problems, but half the time
they are the problem.
3. As soon as you commit to one you realize that, if you had
waited a little longer, you could have obtained a better model.
4. In order to get their attention, you have to turn them on.
5. Big power surges knock them out for the rest of the night.