[Editor's Note: This is supposedly part 2 of 2, but I didn't get part 1. If
anyone has it, please send it to me. By the way, I've actually heard some
of these things from my sysadmin. But then, I work at AT&T.]
Things you do NOT want your System Administrator to say:
1. You did WHAT to the floppy???
2. Sorry, we deleted that package last week.
3. NO!!! Not THAT button!!!
4. [looks at workstation] "Say, what version of DOS is this thing running?"
5. YEEEHAA!!! What a CRASH!!!
6. What do you mean that could take down the whole network?
7. What's this switch for anyways?
8. Tell me again what that '-r' option to rm does...
9. Say, what does "Superblock Error" mean, anyhow?
10. If I know it wasn't going to work, I would have tested it sooner.
11. Was that YOUR directory?
12. System coming down in 0 minutes...
13. The backup procedure works fine, but the restore is tricky!
14. Hey Fred, did you save that posting about restoring filesystems with vi
and a toothpick? More importantly, did you print it out?
15. The sprinkler system isn't supposed to leak is it?
16. It is only a minor upgrade, the system should be back up in a few
hours. (This said on a Monday afternoon.)
17. I think we can plug just one more thing in to this outlet strip without
tripping the breaker.
18. What is all this I hear about static charges destroying computers?
19. I found this rabbit program that is supposed to test system performance
and I have it running now.
20. Ummm....Didn't you say you turned it off?
21. The network's down, but we're working on it. Come back after dinner.
(Usually said at 2200 the night before thesis deadline.)
22. Oops! Save your work, everyone! FAST!!!
23. Boy, it's a lot easier when you know what you're doing.
24. I hate it when that happens.
25. Why did it say '/bin/rm: not found'?
26. You can do this patch with the system up...
27. What happens to a hard disk when you drop it?
28. Well, I've got a backup, but the only copy of the restore program was
on THAT disk...
29. Hey, what does mkfs do?
30. Where did you say those backup tapes were kept?
31. ...and if we just swap these two disk controllers like this...
32. don't do that, it'll crash the sys...DAMN!
33. What's this hash prompt on my terminal mean?
34. Now it's funny you should ask that, because I don't know either...
35. Can you get VMS for this Sparc thingy?
36. I don't care what he says, I'm NOT having it on MY network.
37. We don't support that. We WON'T support that.
38. ...and after I patched the microcode...
39. You've got TECO. What more do you want?
40. We prefer not to change the root password, it's a nice easy one...
41. Just add yourself to the password file and make a directory...