with MIXED HERBS
4 - 8 people
Prepared by: Shokooh)
- 500 g (1 lb) Basmati long grain rice
- 500 g (1 lb) meat or chicken
- 750 g (1.5 lb) fresh herbs, equal portions
of parsley, chive, dill, coriander
4 sprigs fenugreek
- 1 medium onion
- 1/3 cup oil
- 1/4 tsp ground saffron
- salt and pepper
all your Persian
1.After washing the rice thoroughly, soak
the rice in salted lukewarm water to cover by 2 inches for 3 to 4 hours.
2. Trim the meat of all fat, cut into small
pieces (2 inch cubes), wash and drain.
3. Slice the onions and fry in a little
oil until it turns golden brown. Add the meat, salt and pepper and cook
over low heat until the meat is well done, 45 minutes to an hour.
4. Clean the herbs cutting out coarse stems,
wash, dry and chop finely.
5. In a large saucepan, bring 8 to 12 cups
of water to a rapid boil.
6. Pour off excess water from rice and pour
into boiling water. Bring back to boil for 2 to 3 minutes. Test to see
if the rice is ready. The grains should be firm in the center and rather
soft on the outside. Strain and rinse with lukewarm water. Toss gently
in the strainer.
7. Bring 1/4 cup water and 2 to 3 tbs oil
to rapid boil. Add layers of rice and the mixed herbs interchangeably building
it up to a dome shape. The top layer should be rice. Make sure the herbs
are dry before mixing them with the rice.
8. Poke 5 or 6 holes through the rice to
the bottom with the handle of a spoon. Close the lid. Keep on medium-high
heat for 2 to 3 minutes until rice is steaming. Heat up 1/4 cup of water
and 2 tbs oil and pour over the rice. Wrap the saucepan lid in a clean
tablecloth and cover the pan firmly. Reduce heat to low and cook for 45
minutes to an hour.
9. After removing from heat, place the saucepan
in the sink and run cold water under it to cool down.
10. Add 1/4 tsp saffron to 1 tbs hot water.
Lightly mix 2 to 3 tbs of rice with the liquid saffron in a small bowl.
Set it aside for garnish.
11. To dish up, gently toss the rice and
sprinkle lightly in a dish in a symmetrical mound. Garnish with the saffron
rice. You can either serve the meat (or chicken) in a separate dish or
mix it with the rice in the same dish.
12. Remove the crusty bottom and serve in
a separate plate.