RICE with LENTILS, DATES,
RAISINS and MEAT
Sufficient for 4 - 8
(Recipe Prepared by:
500 g (1 lb) Basmati long grain rice
500 g (1 lb) meat or chicken
375 g (3/4 lb) lentils
250 g (.5 lb) pitted dates
125 g (1/4 lb) raisins
2 medium onions
1/3 cup oil
1/4 tsp ground saffron
salt and pepper
all your Persian
1. After washing the rice thoroughly, soak the
rice in salted lukewarm water to cover by 2 inches for 3 to 4 hours.
2. Trim the meat of all fat, cut into small pieces
(2 inch cubes), wash and drain.
3. Slice one onion and fry in a little oil until
it turns golden brown. Add the meat, salt and pepper and cook over low
heat until the meat is well done, 45 minutes to an hour.
4. Cut the dates across into halves and remove
pits. Soak the raisins in a little warm water for 25 minutes, strain and
5. Slice the second onion and fry in a little
oil until it turns golden. Add raisins and dates and continue to fry for
2 to 3 minutes. Add saffron and mix. Keep warm until the rice is ready.
6. Cook the lentils in a cup of water with a touch
of salt. Strain and set aside to mix with the rice later.
7. In a large saucepan, bring 8 to 12 cups of
water to a rapid boil.
8. Pour off excess water from rice and pour into
boiling water. Bring back to boil for 2 to 3 minutes. Test to see if the
rice is ready. The grains should be firm in the center and rather soft
on the outside. strain the rice and rinse with lukewarm water. Toss gently
in the strainer.
9.Bring 1/4 cup water and 2 to 3 tbs oil to rapid
boil. Add layers of rice and lentil interchangeably building the rice and
lentil layers up to a dome shape. The last layer should be rice.
10. Poke 5 or 6 holes through the rice to the
bottom with the handle of a spoon. Close the lid. Keep on medium heat for
2 to 3 minutes until rice is steaming. Heat up 1/4 cup of water and 2 tbs
oil and pour over the rice. Wrap the saucepan lid in a clean tablecloth
and cover the pan firmly. Reduce heat to low and cook for 45 minutes to
11. After removing from heat, place the saucepan
in the sink and run cold water under it to cool down.
12. To dish up, gently toss the rice and sprinkle
lightly in a dish in a symmetrical mound. Spread the mixture of dates and
raisins evenly over the rice and complete the dish by spreading the meat
13. Remove the crusty bottom and serve in a separate