with Green Beans
4 - 8 people)
- 500 g (1 lb) Basmati long grain rice
- 500 g (1 lb) meat, ground or small pieces
- 500 g (1 lb) string beans
- 1 medium onion
- 2 tbs tomato paste
- 1/3 cup oil
- 1/2 tsp ground saffron
- 2 tbs lime juice
- salt and pepper
all your Persian
1. After washing the rice thoroughly, soak
the rice in salted lukewarm water to cover by 2 inches for 3 to 4 hours.
2. String the beans, wash and chop into 1
3. Slice the onion and fry in a little oil
until it turns golden brown. Add the meat and continue to cook until the
meat is half done. Add the beans and continue to cook over low heat until
all cooked. Add tomato paste, 2 tbs lime juice and 1/4 tsp saffron, salt
and pepper and remove from heat after a couple more minutes. Make sure
you don't overcook the mixture.
4. In a large saucepan, bring 8 to 12 cups
of water to a rapid boil.
5. Pour off excess water from rice and pour
into boiling water. Bring back to boil for 2 to 3 minutes. Test to see
if the rice is ready. The grains should be firm in the center and rather
soft on the outside. Strain and rinse with lukewarm water. Toss gently
in the colander.
6. Bring 1/4 cup water and 2 to 3 tbs oil
to rapid boil. Add layers of rice and the mixture of beans and meat interchangeably
building it up to a conical shape.
7. Poke 5 or 6 holes through the rice to
the bottom with the handle of a spoon. Close the lid. Keep on medium-high
heat for 2 to 3 minutes until rice is steaming.
8. Heat up 1/4 cup of water and 2 tbs oil
and pour over the rice. Wrap the saucepan lid in a clean tablecloth and
cover the pan firmly. Reduce heat to low for 45 minutes to an hour.
9. After removing from heat, place the saucepan
in the sink and run cold water under it to cool down.
10. Add 1/4 tsp saffron to 1 tbs hot water.
Lightly mix 2 to 3 tbs of rice with the liquid saffron in a small bowl.
Set it aside for garnish.
11. To dish up, gently toss the rice and
sprinkle lightly in a dish in a symmetrical mound. Garnish with the saffron
12. Remove the crusty bottom and serve in
a separate plate.