250 g (8oz ) sugar
125ml (4fl oz) water
60ml (2fl oz) rose water
4 teaspoons liquid saffron
250g (8oz ) unsalted butter
250g (8oz) plain flour
all your Persian
1. Boil the sugar and water together until
the sugar is dissolved, then add the rosewater and saffron. Remove from
heat but keep warm.
2. Melt butter in a pan and gradually stir
in the flour to a smooth paste. Cook over a low heat until golden in colour.
3. Over a very low heat, slowly add the
syrup to blend into a smooth paste. Remove from heat immediately.
4. While still warm, spread on to a plate
and press down with the back of a dessertspoon, making a pattern with the
5. Serve cold, cut into small wedges, accompanied
by toast and tea.