1. Calculate the smallest limb diameter on a persimmon tree that
will support a 10 pound possum.
2. Which of the following cars will rust out the quickest when placed
on blocks in your front yard? a) '66 Ford Fairlane b) '69 Chevrolet
Chevelle c) '64 Pontiac GTO
3. If your uncle builds a still that operates at a capacity of 20
gallons of shine per hour, how many car radiators are necessary to
condense the product?
4. A pulpwood cutter has chain saw that operates at 2700 rpm. The
density of the pine trees in a plot to be harvested is 470 per acre.
The lot is 2.3 acres in size. The average tree diameter is 14 inches.
How many Budweiser Tall-Boys will it take to cut the trees?
5. If every old refrigerator in the state vented a charge of R-12
simultaneously, what would be the decrease in the ozone layer?
6. A front porch is constructed of 2x8 pine on 24-inch centers with a
field rock foundation. The span is 8 feet and the porch length is 16
feet. The porch floor is 1 inch rough sawn pine. When the porch
collapses, how many hound dogs will be killed?
7. A man owns a house and 3.7 acres of land in a hollow with an
average slope of 15%. The man has 5 children. Can each of the children
place a mobile home on the man's land?
8. A 2-ton pulpwood truck is overloaded and proceeding down a steep
grade on a secondary road at 45 mph. The brakes fail. Given the
average traffic loading of secondary roads, how many people will
swerve to avoid the truck before it crashes at the bottom of the
mountain? For extra credit, how many of the vehicles that swerved will
have mufflers and uncracked windshields?
9. A Coal Mine operates a NFPA Class 1, Division 2 Hazardous Area. The
mine employs 120 miners per shift. A gas warning is issued at the
beginning of 3rd shift. How many cartons of unfiltered Camels will be
smoked during the shift?
10. How many generations will it take before cattle develop two legs
shorter than the others because of grazing along a mountainside?