- Is it not meningitis?" ~~ Louisa M. Alcott, writer, d. 1888
- Waiting are they? Waiting are they? Well--let 'em wait.
(In response to an attending doctor who attempted to comfort him by saying, "General, I fear the angels are waiting for you....
- Am I dying or is this my birthday?" (When she woke briefly during her last illness and found all her family around her bedside.
) ~~ Lady Nancy Astor, d. 1964...
- Codeine . . . bourbon." ~~ Tallulah Bankhead, actress, d. December 12, 1968
- Die? I should say not, dear fellow. No Barrymore would allow such a conventional thing to happen to him.
~~ John Barrymore, actor, d. May 29, 1942...
- Now comes the mystery." ~~ Henry Ward Beecher, evangelist, d. March 8, 1887
- Friends applaud, the comedy is finished." ~~ Ludwig van Beethoven, composer, d. March 26, 1827
- I should never have switched from Scotch to Martinis.
~~ Humphrey Bogart, actor, d. January 14, 1957...
- Oh, I am not going to die, am I? He will not separate us, we have been so happy.
(Spoken to her husband of 9 months, Rev. Arthur Nicholls....
- That was the best ice-cream soda I ever tasted." ~~ Lou Costello, comedian, d. March 3, 1959