So much is a man worth as he esteems himself.
- So much is a man worth as he esteems himself.
-- Francis Rabelais (1495-1553)
-- Works, Book ii, Chap.
- He who despises himself nevertheless esteems himself as a self-despiser: -- Nietzsche
- He who despises himself nevertheless esteems himself as a self-despiser. -- Friedrich Nietzsche
- No man was ever so much deceived by another as by himself. -- Greville
- The wisest man is generally he who thinks himself the least so. -- Boileau
- A bore is a man who talks so much about himself that you can't talk about yourself.
- Nothing flatters a man as much as the happiness of his wife
he is always proud of himself as the source of it. -- Samuel Johnson (1709-1784)...
- There is this difference between happiness and wisdom
he that thinks himself the happiest man really is so...
- Man is a make-believe animal - he is never so truly himself as when he
is acting a part.