- He has all the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire." Winston Churchill
- A modest little person, with much to be modest about." Winston Churchill
- I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." Clarence Darrow
- He has never been known to use a word that might send a reader to the dictionary.
William Faulkner (about Ernest Hemingway)...
- Poor Faulkner. Does he really think big emotions come from big words?
Ernest Hemingway (about William Faulkner)...
- Thank you for sending me a copy of your book; I'll waste no time reading it." Moses Hada
- He can compress the most words into the smallest idea of any man I know." Abraham Lincol
- I've had a perfectly wonderful evening. But this wasn't it." Groucho Marx
- I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it." Mark Twai
- He has no enemies, but is intensely disliked by his friends." Oscar Wilde