"Contemporary society offers so many ways of learning that reading books is no longer very important."
- Where do I find the time for not reading so many books? -- Karl Krau
- Creating an appealing image has become more important in contemporary society than is the reality or truth behind that image.
- In the age of television, reading books is not as important as it once was.
People can learn as much by watching television as they can by reading books....
- Learning is acquired by reading books; but the much more necessary
learning, the knowledge of the world, is only to be acquired by reading
man, and studying all the various editions of them.
-- Lord Chesterfield...
- So many books, so little time.
- When you have mastered numbers, you will in fact no longer be reading
numbers, any more than you read words when reading books.
You will be reading meanings. Harold Geneen, from Managing...
- It's unfortunate that the process of learning is measured by one's
performance on stressful exams.
Armed with the same amount of knowledge, at a different time and different place, you could do very well or do very poorly....
- LORE, n. Learning -- particularly that sort which is not derived from
a regular course of instruction but comes of the reading of occult
books, or by nature.
This latter is commonly designated as folk-lore and embraces popularly myths and superstitions....
- The following appeared in a letter to the editor of a local newspaper.
"Too much emphasis is placed on the development of reading skills in elementary school....