* "I was recently on a tour of Latin America, and the only regret I have was
that I didn't study Latin harder in school so I could converse with those
* "If we don't succeed, we run the risk of failure."
* "Republicans understand the importance of bondage between a mother and
* "Welcome to President Bush, Mrs. Bush, and my fellow astronauts."
* "Mars is essentially in the same orbit... Mars is somewhat the same
distance from the Sun, which is very important. We have seen pictures where
there are canals, we believe, and water. If there is water, that means there
is oxygen. If oxygen, that means we can breathe."
* "What a waste it is to lose one's mind. Or not to have a mind is being
very wasteful. How true that is."
* "The Holocaust was an obscene period in our nation's history. I mean in
this century's history. But we all lived in this century. I didn't live in
* "I believe we are on an irreversible trend toward more freedom and
democracy - but that could change."
* "May our nation continue to be the beakon of hope to the world." -- The
Quayles' 1989 Christmas card. [Not a beacon of literacy, though.]
* "Verbosity leads to unclear, inarticulate things."
* "I have made good judgements in the Past. I have made good judgements in
* "The future will be better tomorrow."
* "We're going to have the best-educated American people in the world."
* "People that are really very weird can get into sensitive positions and
have a tremendous impact on history."
* "I stand by all the misstatements that I've made." -- Vice President Dan
Quayle to Sam Donaldson, 8/17/89
* "We have a firm commitment to NATO, we are a *part* of NATO. We have a
firm commitment to Europe. We are a *part* of Europe."
* "I am not part of the problem. I am a Republican."
* "I love California, I practically grew up in Phoenix."
* "A low voter turnout is an indication of fewer people going to the polls."
* "When I have been asked during these last weeks who caused the riots and
the killing in L.A., my answer has been direct and simple: Who is to blame
for the riots? The rioters are to blame. Who is to blame for the killings?
The killers are to blame."
* "Illegitimacy is something we should talk about in terms of not having
* "We are ready for any unforeseen event that may or may not occur."
* "For NASA, space is still a high priority."
* "Quite frankly, teachers are the only profession that teach our children."
* "The American people would not want to know of any misquotes that Dan
Quayle may or may not make."
* "We're all capable of mistakes, but I do not care to enlighten you on the
mistakes we may or may not have made."
* "It isn't pollution that's harming the environment. It's the impurities in
our air and water that are doing it."
* "[It's] time for the human race to enter the solar system."
* And how about the time he told the Samoans they all looked like "happy
campers" to him?