(Recipe Prepared by:
2kg (4 lb) aubergines
500 g (1 lb) boned leg of lamb
2 medium onions
1 teaspoons turmeric
3 tablespoons tomato paste
3-4 medium tomatoes
60g (2oz) small unripe
grapes juice of 1 lemon
salt and paper
all your Persian
1. Peel the aubergines and cut into 50mm
(1/4 in) thick slices. Spread them out, sprinkle with salt and leave for
half an hour. Fry in a generous amount of oil until golden brown. Leave
2. Trim the meat of all fat, cut into 5cm
(2in) cubes, wash and leave to soak in fresh water for a few minutes.
3. Slice the onions and fry briskly in oil
until golden brown. Add the tumeric, salt and pepper, then the drained
meat and stir-fry until well browned.
4. Stir in the tomato paste, the skinned
and finely chopped tomatoes, the sour grapes and lemon juice with water
to cover. Put on lid and simmer gently for 30 minutes.
5. Add the drained aubergines and a little
more water, cover and simmer for a further 30 minutes or until the meat
is tender and the sauce well blended,
6. Serve in a warmed vegetables dish, arranging
the aubergine slices round the dish and heaping the meat and tomato sauce
up in the middle. Serve with white rice.