(Recipe Prepared By:
- 120g (4 oz) red kidney or black-eyed beans
- 30g (l oz) fresh fenugreek or 2 tablespoons
- 150g (5 oz) parsley
- l00 g (4 oz) coriander or parsley
- 180g (6 oz) spring onions or leeks
- 30g (l oz) dill (optional)
- 360g (12 oz) boned leg of lamb
- 1 medium onion
- 2 tablespoons dried lime powder
- 4 whole dried limes
- juice of 2 lemons or 4 if dried limes
are not available
all your Persian
1. If using red kidney beans, leave to soak
for several hours, preferably overnight. Then boil fast for ten minutes,
drain and rinse well, Put to one side.
2. Clean and wash the herbs, removing coarse
stems, drain and shake dry. Chop finely.
3. Fry the herbs (sprinkling in the crushed
dried fenugreek leaf if using) in a little oil over a moderate heat, turning
constantly, adding more oil when necessary until the herbs begin to darken
(about 30-40 minutes). Remove from heat and keep on one side.
4. Trim and cut the meat into large pieces,
6-7 cm (21/2 in), wash and leave to soak while you slice and fry the onion
until soft and golden. Add the drained meat and brown well on all sides.
5. Stir in the herbs. Add the beans, lime
powder and enough water to cover. Cover the pan and simmer gently for an
6. Pierce the dried limes in several places
with a sharp knife and add along with the dried lime powder and salt.
7. Simmer gently for a further hour or until
the meat and beans are tender and the whole sauce well blended. Add lemon
juice to taste.
8. Dish up into a warm serving dish and serve
with white rice.