Curry Potatoes - Iran - 2c
a2, mideast, vegetable
2 tablespoons corn oil
6 large baking potatoes
1 whole lemon; Juice of
1 teaspoon turmeric
2 teaspoons salt
1 teaspoon black pepper
1 teaspoon cayanne pepper
2 teaspoons ground corriander
2 teaspoons ground cumin
1 tablespoon mustard seed
1. Peel potatoes and slice them thinly (not paper thin, about 1/8" thick).
2. Heat the oil in a large saute pan (preferably a 6.5 quart one since you want a lot of surface area), and add the mustard seed.
3. When mustard seeds start popping, add the rest of the spices and fry for about 1/2 minute, don't overdo this stage since spices can burn easily in high heat. The spices are fried well when you can smell them. Keep the heat on medium high.
4. When you can smell the spices, add the potatoes and stir around so all the potatoes are coated with the oil and spices. Reduce heat to medium and fry the potatoes for ~ 5 minutes stirring occasionally.
5. When the surface of the potatoes look crispy and brown, add the lemon juice and cover the pan. Reduce heat to medium low and cook for another 15 minutes stirring occasionally. The length of this stage varies a little depending on the type of potatoes.
6. Serve as a side dish with any kind of barbecue.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Yield: 1 serving
Preparation Time: 0:00
** Exported from Now You're Cooking! v5.32 **